Difference between revisions of "ATN Exchange Details"
|Line 28:||Line 28:|
*Charles C. Thomas
*Charles C. Thomas
Revision as of 15:47, 28 July 2020
What is the Exchange?
The Exchange is an add-on to an Authorized User's AccessText account. This optional membership in the Exchange gives you access to download these Exchange files. Select AccessText Network publishers have authorized us to allow schools who have student-ready alternate media formats of textbooks to exchange those files with other member schools. The Exchange is a repository of files on AccessText that have been remediated by our post-secondary members. The purpose of the Exchange is to reduce duplicate post-production work on publisher files.
+Remediated means that one has modified/enhanced a file for the purpose of making it more accessible.
How to Renew or Obtain Exchange Membership
Make a donation of 25 post-production books (KES, DOC, PDF, TXT, MP3, etc...) per year or choose the annual subscription fee of $250 in order to have an Exchange membership which allows you to request Exchange files. If you prefer to pay the subscription fee, please reach out to us at email@example.com or 866-271-4968 and we will prepare an invoice for you.
- NOTE: Whether or not you choose to be an Exchange member does not affect your regular ATN membership that is free and does not need to be renewed and allows you to request files from publishers.
Submission criteria for Exchange files
- Your office performed additional work on the publisher file or scanned document to make it more accessible for a student and/or to convert it to a different format. You will be given the opportunity to describe the work you performed when uploading the file to the Exchange. Your description will help others know whether your file will help their student.
How to Submit Files
Upload an individual file within the application
- Search by ISBN.
- Click on the ISBN13 to navigate to the title record.
- Click on "Submit an Exchange File"
- If you have multiple files for one title, put them all in a folder and zip it. (On Windows 7, to zip a folder, you right click on it and choose 'send to - compressed (zipped) folder'.)
- Click on Choose File. Select your file or your zipped folder.
- Describe the file you are submitting by populating all of the below fields.
- Click Upload
Publishers That Allow Exchange Requests
We can accept files for books by publishers who have agreed to participate in the Exchange. Currently, those publishers are:
- American Psychological Association
- August Learning Solutions
- BOMG Publishing
- BookLand Press
- Career Innovations Press
- Cengage Learning
- Charles C. Thomas
- Cicero Books
- Difusion SL
- ECS Publishing
- Elsevier / Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
- Emerald Publishing
- F.A. Davis Company
- Guilford Publications
- Hackett Publishing Company
- Hawkes Learning
- Human Kinetics, Inc
- Jones & Bartlett Learning
- Kogan Page
- Labyrinth Learning
- Lynne Rienner Publishers
- Morton Publishing
- Mujo Learning Systems, Inc.
- Nelson Education Ltd.
- OpenStax, Rice University
- Pearson Education
- Project Wet Foundation
- Quintessence Publishing
- SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Sidney K. Edelman / ESP Ultrasound
- SLACK Incorporated
- Springer Nature
- Springer Publishing
- The Crossroad Publishing Company
- Universal Publishers, Inc.
- University of Michigan Press
- Vista Higher Learning
- W.W. Norton
- Wolters Kluwer Health
- Wolters Kluwer/Aspen Publishers-LEGAL EDUCATION
How to Request an Exchange File
- If the ISBN you are requesting has an Exchange file, then you will see a 4th box on the right hand pane that says Exchange and you will also notice the Exchange tab appears at the bottom of the request and Exchange File will be a choice in the Request Type drop-down.
- What is the Exchange?
- A repository of files on ATN that have been remediated* and contributed by ATN members.
- Does this change my regular ATN membership?
- No. Your regular ATN membership remains free.
- Am I already a member of the Exchange?
- Not unless you have contributed 25 files or $250 and submitted an application to join the Exchange.
- How do I request an Exchange file?
- If an Exchange file has been contributed for a book you are requesting, you will see the option to request it in the 'Request Type' drop-down, as well as an additional box on the right hand pane that explains what an Exchange file is. You will also see an Exchange Files tab at the bottom of the request where you can click to view the description of the work done on the file.
- What are the requirements for the files?
- Let's make it simple: the only thing you can't contribute is a publisher file that you have NOT changed in ANY way. (We already have those!)
- What if I have a book split into chapters that I want to contribute?
- Simply put all the separate files into a folder and zip the folder. Then upload the zipped file in ATN.
- Does uploading the same book in two different formats (say KES and tagged PDF for example) count as two separate contributions or one towards the 25 required?
- It counts as two. Please note that you would need to contribute the KES and describe it on one exchange file record and then repeat the process for the PDF on a second exchange record (ie. don't upload both the kes and pdf to the same exchange file record).
- How do I contribute an exchange file?
- Simply search for the ISBN on the copyright page of the file you'd like to contribute, then click on the ISBN13 at the top of the request record, then click on 'Submit an Exchange File'. If you do not see the button for 'Submit an Exchange File', then it means the publisher doesn't participate in the Exchange.
- What is meant by the term remediated?
- Remediated means that one has modified/enhanced a file for the purpose of making it more accessible.
- What is the time frame for uploading the 25 files to avoid the $250 fee?
- You will never be charged the $250 fee unless you submit an application where you choose "Exchange - Paid $250 per year" and then we invoice you and then you choose to pay it. So, let's say that you upload 25 files this month and then you submit an application to join the Exchange (on your dashboard, just click on "Exchange Membership" in the right-hand pane), then we will activate that membership request for you and you will then have the ability to request an exchange file anytime one is available for a title that you are searching. In one year, that Exchange membership will simply expire unless/until you either contribute another batch of 25 files or opt to pay the $250.
- What happens if the 25 uploads aren’t met in time, but we want to keep exchange access? Is the cost pro-rated?
- The ATN system automatically expires the Exchange membership at exactly one year from when it was started. There is no pro-rating. You would be able to create a new membership whenever you contribute another batch of 25 files or opt to pay $250.
- Would the exchange membership be system-wide if we have multiple campuses and offices? Or does each individual campus have to get their own?
- We will grant Exchange membership to all of your campuses. We would welcome it (not require it) if you can contribute more than 25 files.
- What if I need help or have questions?
- Call or email us with your questions: 866-271-4968 or firstname.lastname@example.org.